You asked for it! At this year’s fourth annual Spay-ghetti Dinner, the hit of the night was the cat litter box cake. It looks all too real, but tastes oh so good! To recreate this hit, follow this recipe:
- 1 box spice or German chocolate cake mix
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 package white sandwich cookies
- 1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix
- A few drops green food coloring
- 12 small Tootsie Rolls or equivalent
SERVING “DISHES AND UTENSILS”
- 1 NEW cat-litter box
- 1 NEW cat-litter box liner
- 1 NEW pooper scooper
1) Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan. Prepare pudding and chill. Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or food processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs. Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside.
2) When cakes are at room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.
3) Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable. Shape the blunt ends into slightly curved points. Repeat with three more rolls. Bury the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture. Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.
4) Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with crumbs from the litter box. Heat the remaining Tootsie Roll until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box. Place box on a sheet of newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy!